I can’t make myself write the play-by-play of sex with This Charming Man, as hot as those paragraphs would be. I’m still disentangling my feelings about him, mainly the feeling of being startled (and, because I’m me, a little alarmed) about how connected and grounded I feel when we’re together. Our bodies and our learning curves fit together like the pretty knots, unraveling and being re-tied. Just like it was on our first date, the other main feeling is laughing-while-kissing.
Last Thursday was our fifth date (though the fourth
was more of a get-over-here) and I was ready to relax into almost-always
coziness at home, so I invited him to come over and paint. But he had a real
out-in-the-world date in mind, at a beer garden/barbeque that’s between our two
neighbs. Just a simple little while of snacks, cocktails, and running into casual
acquaintances of his, but it meant a lot. To get cute for him, to feel his proprietary
arm casually draped around me, to make out in front of strangers and probably
be a little nauseating. A perfectly ordinary dream come true—not sure if it’s a
big deal because of post-quarantine or because my dates have been casual and
couch/bed-specific for a while…probably both.
After I took him home for ropes and snuggles, (and
before more snuggles) we stayed up all night talking. I kept checking to see if
he wanted to go home, and he kept not wanting to go home. At one point, I
turned my face away to spoon, and he said I “went away.” I was right there!
I asked him, at like three or four in the morning, what
he wanted us to be. He volleyed the question back to me and I admitted that I
saw him as boyfriend material, but I didn’t want him to feel constrained. Kind
of a cop-out. Can I get Rory Gilmore in here to do this part for me? Anyway, I
kept yammering: “Romantic, not casual. Not just friends, but also friends.”
“Friends with ropes?” he joked but then sort of
sighed/settled in, saying “Romantic. Yes. Definitely.”
So Friday night while he was running one of his two
D&D games, I was sitting here so tired writing a first draft of this
post in my notebook, with candles lit and a very him lo-fi mix playing,
(Extremely unsurprising take—it’s also so good for typing!) feeling dizzy and
off-balance unsure of how to make whatever next plans. (We asked each other out/in
for two separate dates the next day, is how.)
But. His eyes shining when he watched me “come like a
Good Girl.” His arms submitting to my ropes. The way my throat often hurts from
too much laughing/moaning/forgetting to drink water. His heart. Yikes.
There of course are still things that make me feel
hesitant about him, about the combination of us, but I’m glad to spend occasional
moments just going with it, just feeling quiet and still.
No comments:
Post a Comment