Thursday, February 9, 2023

Knotty Thursday: Untangling the Frilly Things



Y’all, I didn’t mean to get myself into Grateful Mode so quick. I was ready to hunker down, stay mad, compare myself to Mrs. Shy One until I wanted to fling myself into that ocean he crossed for her. Instead, hope. Liberation. I’m free to look for what I want, even if I don’t know what it is. (I kinda know what it is.) I miss him, but way less than I did when I was waiting for his texts.

Last Saturday, as part of my Have an Awesome Day and Don’t Think About Why He Doesn’t Want to See Me Most Weekends extravaganza, I took all the lingerie sets he’d given me out from their Christmas box and the other places they were strewn, and hung them neatly on hangers along with their various straps and attachments. I fretted about whether it was an okay time to send him a pic of my accomplishment. For praise! And because I was sooooooooooo lonely for him even though I’d spent the day doing almost all my favorite things. (In this case, tidying up and sparking all the joy.)

I’m gonna have to fold up all the pretty things and put them away for a while. Even aside from the grief, I’ve still never managed to get my head around them. Here’s an incomplete list of the thoughts and feelings I’ve had about the pretty lingerie gifts since they first appeared a few days before Christmas:

1.     OMG it never occurred to me that this kind of beauty would ever come in my size, let alone be gifted by such a gorgeous sweet man!

2.     I must be a beloved princess, getting so lavishly spoiled!

3.     Some of them, he saw on me in pictures only. It would have taken him a while to get to this many outfits worth of visits.

4.     The radio silence after I sent one of the pictures. The radio silence after most of our dates. Or near radio silence. Or even perceived radio silence because he always left SO FAST.

5.     Holy moly who KNEW I was this fucking hot?!

6.     Mortified self-consciousness when he asked about the fit and I had to tell him the pretty purple one was a little short, that the snappy crotch thing had come unsnapped almost right away.

7.     What would it be like to have an Only Fans where I just wear these things and play with my nipples all day? Is that allowed?

8.     Some of these are Rihanna’s panties. Oh no he must have spent so much money. He is in a two-income household with two real full-time jobs and I’m a small business owner who barely makes a profit and is still partially supported by my ex-wife of ten years. What if someday I lose my place and have to move into BFF-Formerly-Sweetie’s front room because my rent is too high and my post-pandemic credit score is awful.

9.     I should talk to him about the class divide between us. And the cultural divide. And the fat/straight-size divide. And the closeted/out divide. But there’s no time to talk about those things because I’m supposed to be an escape, a balm, not another thing to feel dutiful about, not another bundle of feelings. Not a burden.

10.  Mistress-not girlfriend feelings. Doll-feelings.

11. When I named myself Pretty Ribbons, these lacy things were definitely the wildest dream. I never in a million years would I have envisioned so much lacy abundance for myself. It’s time to dream bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment