Okay I’m
writing three different stories at once right now but that’s gonna have to be
okay. I think this story might shine some light on the like story I’m currently
living about The Drummer.
So Perfectly
1993 Guy had started college and I had gone home to live with my dad. We were a
six-hour Greyhound trip apart. In those days, well before I could capably drive
and when EVER owning a car seemed like a crazy dream, the Greyhound was the
route to all things meaningful. Standing at the bus station that Friday
night/Saturday early morning waiting for him would’ve felt like I was cracked
open and shining love everywhere. That’s a big feeling given that, in this
case, my dad must’ve driven me there to pick up my long-distance love, possibly
in the middle of the night. It seems to my memory that most Greyhound things in
Small Hometown City happened at about 3 AM.
Whatever
the hour, my blank canvas of a bedroom felt golden with Perfectly 1993 Guy in
it. In my arms, kissing and cuddling, he felt so warm but also so evanescent. I’ve
never been more aware in my life of how many hours were left until Sunday at 1
PM, when I’d have to say goodbye again.
That
Saturday night, the midnight between our two birthdays, felt incredibly
momentous, sacred, solemn. He had told me a few weeks before that, aside from a
just-the-tip occasion with his previous (regular normal fancy rich person) girlfriend,
Perfectly 1993 Guy considered himself a virgin. His first time felt like such a
huge deal to him, and I was honored and daunted to be chosen. I felt a little
unworthy, given how experimental, reckless, and haphazard I’d been just a few
years before. Before my heart pendulum had swung wildly back to the chastity of
the Boy Who Sewed Me a Pillow.
Before
that, though, all afternoon on his birthday, we walked and walked all around
Small Hometown City. I showed him a couple of the coffeeshops that I had become
completely obsessed with, and which would become my home-away-from-home in
years to come. I ordered jasmine tea, which tastes not-great but feels very
fancy.
We walked
and walked and walked. Somewhere in all that love-and-anticipating-goodbyes
glow and idle chitchat, I (accidentally?) said “This just feels so temporary.”
I don’t think I’d ever seen a man so affected by my careless words, and I maybe
haven’t since. He slipped into a silent funk, closing his shoulders off and
walking a few feet ahead of me. I remember him (in those dreamy green Docs)
climbing up onto the not-very-high ledge of the art museum’s planters, now
walking ahead AND above me. He was hurting and escaping, and I didn’t know how
to get him back. And we had so, SO little time.

No comments:
Post a Comment