It was the second weekend of December 2020. I had just
pulled off my yearly Christmas gathering via Zoom so the place was decorated
and full of beautiful cookies. I was really, really, REALLY excited to text
through a bad movie with The Drummer, if a little concerned that I’d gone too
far in the BAD direction. Maybe, I thought, not everyone would be entertained
by the combination of Tiger Beat heartthrob and mocking Christianity. He’d been
doing such a lovely job for a couple of weeks, praising (eee!) my photos of
Christmas crafts and keeping me up to date on how cute his dog was being.
It was lovely not to feel the press towards sexting
that so often comes with online dating. Once, when he said there should be a
combination of all the holidays with an orgy post-vaccine, I briefly strayed
into tinsel-bondage talk (Pretty image but really terrible idea I’ll bet!) but
mostly there was this old-fashioned getting-to-know-each other that I really
enjoyed.
I knew he deserved better than Saving Christmas
but it seemed like good movies were a thing for in-person times.
When it was almost time to press play, I put on a
pretty sweater and some red lipstick and took a selfie in front of Lenny
Spruce, my Christmas tree. (Because of Mrs. Maisel, they’re always named
that, but this year it was especially exciting to get an actual spruce!) He
(The Drummer, not Lenny Spruce) pronounced the selfie adorable and it was time
to start the movie.
In the past few weeks, it’s dawned on me that in the
MST3K family of products, it’s extremely rare to see not-a-white-man doing the
riffing. (S/o to Baron Vaughn the best Tom Servo though!) Sure Felicia Day is
sometimes there being awesome and Gypsy got in a rare word or two, but the actual
riffing part was something I never considered I might like to do. I may not be
funny or clever, I might make too many Midsommar references, but mocking
bad movies is the best quarantine hobby I’ve found so far.
The Drummer’s sense of humor matched very nicely with
mine—a combination of present-day compassion and Gen X irritation. Every once
in a while as the quips popped up in the Bumble yellow bubbles I had to just stop
and say “OMG I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW” before going back to ironytown. Cute artist
drummer guy mocking a terrible movie with me while I drank wine and ate
Christmas cookies?! Has ANYTHING ever been better? Perfect. Just such a silly
respite and joy.
Even better, he ended the conversation by:
1. Asking
me to pick the next movie.
2. Mentioning
that Left Behind is a trilogy
And
3. A
kiss emoji.
I gave him my number and we joked that this could
either lead to a Growing Pains podcast or a cult, or both. OH The
Drummer, you are such a gift and a treat.

No comments:
Post a Comment