That janky dungeon night was just a sliver of what the first
week of single life was like—although at the moment I’m still feeling dark and
soul-separated, most of the week was fine-to-lovely. Sweetie finally moved out
the Sunday before last, and that was such a wistful, sad, nostalgic night. That
night I took the opportunity to finally watch Blue Valentine (I’d always joked that if we watched it, we’d have
no choice but to get divorced…) and feel all the sad things, but I also felt like
we were much more awesome than that couple—that bar’s not superhigh, but still.
After that, I cleaned my apartment and listened to Minx and Lusty Guy’s
handfasting ceremony on Poly Weekly
and that gave me something to hope for.
The week was stressful because I’m going through a series of
evaluations at work, but that gave me something to focus on besides heartache,
and the evaluation went okay. The woman whose maternity leave I was covering
came back and moved all of her stuff into her new classroom, so it was a week
of making myself at home and gaining closet space.
I love the feeling of getting the apartment arranged just
for me. I’ve been settling in, decorating, and moving furniture around, putting
away reminders of the relationship and getting ready for the new. By the way,
artsy types, if you have any artwork to lend or donate, I’d be much obliged!
And then there’s the new bed. All I want to do is be in it,
and sometimes I fantasize about getting somebody (or somebodies) to come over
and break it in, but I think that might be a while. I’ve spent many a content
hour wrapped up in my new comforter reading library books—that’s actually what
Saturday was about, before that other stuff: home. Nesting and snuggling in
here, I get a deep and true sense of well-being. Maybe the key to surviving the
bad parts is to draw inward for a while, let it be about just me, not worry
where I’ll fit in in the world, try not to be scared that it’s all gone. I
think that’ll help. I’m almost certain that the world and its parties will
still be there when and if I can heal.
How much should I be allowed to hang out with Sweetie?
Yesterday it was so snowy, and I was so tired, and I had to get the groceries
and go to the laundromat so I called her for help. We had a very pleasant
afternoon slip-sliding to the Target and reading magazines while the clothes
dried. I don’t know if this is allowed but it made me feel better. Maybe I
don’t have to be all the independent at once? I don’t know, but I know I’m
doing my best.

No comments:
Post a Comment