Since The Shy One, I’ve been kind of frozen as to
whether or not to have texting preferences. I’d rather a within-a-couple-hours reaction
than a left-on-read. I’d rather know what time a date is than wing it. I think
those wants are okay, but I still have TSO haunting me with his “How long am I
allowed to go without texting? I’m not trying to be mean, I just want to know
what’s going through your mind.”
(There was a lot that had been going through my mind,
but most of all it was the fact that he’d recently endured “a little bit of
malaria” and I hadn’t heard from him much for a few days.)
(It had been about eight hours that day in late
January 2023, for the record, which isn’t long and also is. If I hadn’t been
honest about being worried that day, would we have somehow made it? Still
bargaining I guess.)
(Made what?)
(I’ve started going to Codependents’ Anonymous
meetings, they’re helping with this particular spiral. And others!)
The day, Tuesday-before-last, when I was supposed to
have my sexy video date with Mr. Long Distance, he got busy with work stuff and
didn’t confirm the time, so I wasn’t sure if we were still on. In the meantime,
I was working on a poster for our city’s Trans Visibility Day tribute to Nex
Benedict. I’s also listened to one too many episodes of Talking Backwards,
a Twin Peaks recap podcast. Now that I’m typing this, I realize I was just too
vulnerable and sad to try such a new adventure that evening. It’s maybe just as
simple as I wasn’t in the mood.
Which, whoa, I could have just said!
Instead, when the not-confirmed time arrived, I found
myself sobbing into my thousand-piece puzzle, just stuck in a loop. Should I
tell him I just like clearer communication, especially since we’re so far apart?
Do I wait til we know each other better to mention it? Do I just say goodbye
now so I don’t find myself later in love with someone who’d hiss “Why? Why are
you crying?” at me in the middle of the night.
To be clear, aside from a similarly cute accent, Mr.
Long Distance is not like The Shy One at all. He’s bolder and more transparent,
more grounded in his life, in his creativity, and in his skin. He definitely didn’t have anything to do with
the grief that was bubbling up.
When the time came to chat, I guess I just was the
mess that I am. I told him I was confused about whether we were on for our date
or not. I let the feelings leak out in some pretty embarrassing texts, but
bless him, oh BLESS YOU Mr. Long Distance, he hung in there.

No comments:
Post a Comment