Thursday, May 14, 2020

Quarantine Crush (Because of Course!) Part One




How’s your shelter-in-place? I’m doing okay now that the Pelosi money started coming in. Sweetie and I considered moving her into my apartment for quarantine, but I’m so, SO glad we decided to be a quarantine household while still in separate apartments—our wonderful, wonderful separate apartments.

To explain how I got to Quarantine Crush, we have to go back twenty years. Why not?! Time means nothing anymore. In 1999, when I was twenty-four, I left Small East Coast City to go to art school in Fancy Southern California Beach Town. I chose to go to school there because a. I wanted to go to California and b. The name of the town sounded pretty.

Obviously, this person becomes a poet. I was half-assedly taking my art classes, pining for my newly-ex girlfriend back east, working in a dress shop in true rom-com style, and walking a bajillion miles of canyon and beach. One morning when I was crying in the campus courtyard because I missed the ex, a guy I thought was cute invited me to a poetry reading, and that was that for like the next ten years of my life. (Wouldn’t it be awesome if the art school guy was Quarantine Crush? He isn’t, even I’M not that much of a rom-com.)

Southern California was the place where I felt both most alien and most welcome. The poets were almost instantly one of the Friends-style families I’d been collecting for the entire Nineties.  We spent Christmas and New Years together, like it was the most natural thing in the world. I didn’t have a car! In Southern California! How did I do anything? Poets! They drove me everywhere, which is really, really saying something in a place where every single thing is at least forty-five minutes away. My mind is absolutely dazzled by the sheer number of hours my friends spent shuttling me back and forth to readings, despite the fact that I never gave them gas money (I never, never, had any money ever) and I sometimes forgot (or just didn’t know) my freeway exit, and my personality was a complete nightmare, I’m sure.

But still! They drove me and drove me and DROVE me and that strikes me as such an act of unquestioning, unconditional friendship love that I really wish the Sex Tardis were up and running so that I could take it on a little platonic stopoff at the millennium to be more grateful.

Quarantine Crush only crystalized as a deep sort of one-that-got-away-situation after a few years of pressing like on his gorgeous nature photos on Instagram, but in retrospect, I can’t help asking my younger self WHY DID YOU NOT KISS THIS PERSON? Right up there with the Boy Who Sewed Me a Pillow, he’s in contention for The Actual Best Guy. Let’s add a “so far” so I don’t get the blues.

I’m not even sure if I knew him before the day I leapt into his arms. We were competing in a Slam Championship. His voice was (and still is) such a ravenous, glorious bluster. When he finished his poem I didn’t stop to think, I didn’t wonder if it made sense, I just jumped, and he held me without difficulty, and theatrically carried me out the door.

Of course shelter-in-place and too many corona feelings and counting the hand wash seconds would make me hanker for some leaping, to see what kind of advice me-in-my-twenties might have. The results were…mixed, but decidedly THE BEST.

No comments:

Post a Comment