Friday, September 28, 2018

Welcome, Gilmore Guy: Part One, A Walk in the Woods




Friends, I love being single. I aspire to reach Kate Bolick heights of spinster fabulousness, and I think that I do. But this story starts where so many of them do—a gentle, long-fluttering crush. About a month ago, curiosity bubbled up and I (sort of) asked out a friendly acquaintance I’ll call Steven. (because Universe) He spent the better part of a day with me, painting watercolors and falling asleep in front of my favorite movie. (Slacker. I would blame exactly NO ONE for falling asleep in front of it.) At no point during that day did I find out if he liked girls or boys or both or neither, most importantly whether he liked me.

So, in the middle of the night, (I knew he’d be up, he’s not a morning person like me.) I texted to ask him if he’d mind snuggling. After I sent the text, my heart was pounding in that dizzying, vexing, nauseating way that I hadn’t felt in a while, and when he sent back a very kind no, I was SO MUCH SADDER than I’d expected to be. Even though it was late, I called Sweetie (ex-wife, now best friend, only call-in-the-middle-of-the-night person besides the hotline I use for panic) and SOBBED.

As unpleasant as that was, there was something healthy about it too. Irksome as an unrequited thing always is, I felt like I’d returned to a vital part of myself. I used to let my hoo-ha steer my life so much more, and it felt like a relief to have turned to that compass, even a little bit.

(Before we leave Steven, I want to report that he and I settled into friendship faster than I expected, because he’s a treasure and also probably because of the next part of the story.)

            I went back to regularly swiping through Ok Cupid, at least to remember to keep snuggles a priority. (I gave up on Tinder a long time ago because guys kept being mad at me for being a person.) Because it’s election season, my OKC profile picture is of me meeting Hillary Clinton. The picture (which I also keep by my front door for strength, along with the times I met John Lewis and Cecile Richards) served the dual purposes of both being a conversation starter and (presumably) weeding out most of the Trump monsters and Bernie bros. (Some trolls still get though, though, my OKC inbox is not THAT different than my textbanking-for-Democrats inbox.  Any opportunity to push back, I guess…)

            Every once in a while, though, somebody says Exactly. The. Right. Thing. And I have to resist the temptation to screenshot it so I can show ALL the men what the exactly right thing is. It’s a very nice bonus when the guy typing the right thing is a cute black guy with dreamy eyes and who lists Gilmore Girls as one of his interests!!!

Here is the exactly right thing to say to me on OK Cupid—or anywhere: “Wow, you got to meet Hillary Clinton! I think she is a majestic woman and I really wanted her to be our president.”

Majestic! *swoons*

            Plus! This guy lives right in my beloved neighborhood! So we made plans to spend a morning on my favorite local hiking trail. I had him meet me at the library, since my number one most exciting reserve had just come in. (Rich People Problems! CANNOT get enough of Kevin Kwan) I nervously caught Pokémon in one of the pretty chairs outside the library as I waited for him to arrive.

            When I saw him, I felt immediately special because he’d clearly dressed with care. (Now that I know him a little better I’ve realized that he probably ALWAYS dresses with care, but still.) He had on a vintage jacket and a yellow gingham shirt—picture-perfect for the woods.

            And cute. Long locks, those dreamy eyes, and yay! Close to my height. He’s fit in a way that made me worry I was too fat for him. (Sorry, no amount of feminism has banished that annoying thought.) Spoiler alert, I wasn’t. Despite my worries and jangled nerves, we felt like a match to me, a sort of “Yeah, this could work.” moment.

            As we walked through the woods on that beautifully cool grey early fall day, golden color just beginning to tinge the leaf-edges, I was delighted to find out that he was MAYBE MORE OBSESSED WITH GILMORE GIRLS THAN I AM. He even listens to the Gilmore Guys podcast. It dawned on me then—

            “Hey! It’s September 21st! Have you seen Demi Adejuyigbe’s video about that?” (Google “electrolemon September,” you really need to know.)

            “No—what are you doing later? Why don’t you come over and we can watch it and some Gilmore episodes? I’ll make you a cocktail?”
            Um, yes. Wait, he watches Gilmore Girls AND makes fancy cocktails? Are you KIDDING me? I requested mojitos and he said he’d have to pick up some mint, but I happen to have plenty of mint in my yard. Clearly, part two of this date was mint to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment