Don’t get me wrong, friends. I’ve seen some real jackassery
in the past couple of years, and some of the outrage I’ve expressed has been
proportional. But there were times when someone fucked up at about a 3 and I
got upset at a 10, making it hard to have any perspective or move on with any
kind of grace, often leaking friendships and potential friendships in the wake
of the panic and hurt.
Part of the reason that guys’ messups end up being so
devastating is that often I interpret them as containing some information about
me. When Mr. Sweetheart forgot that it was our phone date night, I felt like
the message was that I was inherently forgettable, not that he was just maybe a
little silly and overbooked that week. When The Man acted like I wasn’t there,
it activated a deep-seated fear that I might not exist, that he treated me like
nothing because I actually was
nothing. To fight that fear, I had to fight him, but that got me exactly the
opposite of what I wanted. That’s part of the reason I’m trying to excavate and
acknowledge those fears—it’s no one’s job but mine to soothe and fix them.
I think another reason I’ve made guys into enemies is out of
some crackpot subconscious attempt to stay close to Sweetie, a way to let her
keep saving me. We could snuggle up together and bemoan whoever was breaking my
heart that week, and it kept me from having to actually go ahead and open up.
I’ve tended to blame her introversion and monogamy for our isolation, but I was
fighting off expansion too. I didn’t want to lose her to what I really wanted,
so I made what I wanted into the enemy.
Like anyone who lashes out, I’ve often done it out of a
sense of helplessness. For most of my life, I’ve seen myself as someone who is
made automatically powerless by men, who has to always fight to get that power
back. That’s just a false impression brought about by the tropes of trauma, and
I’m doing my best to train myself out of it.
But I think a lot of the misdirected anger came from
frustration—it was hard to live without male companionship all those years—I’m
angry that I’m almost 39 and just now learning to let go and enjoy PIV sex in
the grown-up way that I want to. I’m very sad that it took me this long to make
friends with the penis, and now I have this ravenous urge to make up for lost
time that just hasn’t translated into real life.
I am angry at Sweetie for all of the shame that came out of
our mismatch, all of the times she called me a slut or a stupid cunt or a
whore, all of the times she contemptuously spat out “Just because I don’t want
to fuck anyone else…” or “Just
because I don’t have a penis…” She
said “fuck” and “penis” in the same tone of voice she might also use to say
“George W. Bush.” I’m angry at her for reinforcing my fear that I’m a bad
feminist for wanting to submit, and I’m angry at her for crying over
recreational bruises or hot blog posts. The things I most love about myself, or
most want to love, were the things that made her miserable and bitter.
I am so angry with myself for refusing to admit what I
really wanted, for keeping us in a no-win situation for so long. I’m angry
about the nonsense I’ve put up with in the hopes that the right
boyfriend might take the pressure off and save the marriage—I’m so glad if that
factor is never a part of my dating
life again.
When we made the decision to divorce, about 80% of the anger
just evaporated. I started to feel embarrassed about all of the times I’ve
lashed out, and I made a mental apology list. I’ve been unblocking and refriending
people and doling out apologies, and each one is a humbling relief. It feels
good to come out and say hey, I was an asshole, but I’m committed to being less
of one.
About a year ago, Sweetie and I had a terrible fight during
which she locked the door and refused to let me leave. When I finally got past
her and out the door, I sat in the car and called my mom to ask her to help me
get a divorce. Mom talked me out of it, telling me that even if I had a
different partner, I’d never be better, that the fights were a part of me I
couldn’t change. (Never mind that no one else had ever locked me in an
apartment or called me a cunt.) I am excited and inspired to start proving my
mother wrong, to heal myself and then find partners who can disagree and
express unhappiness without being terrifying, to stop going through the world
always a little bit scared. I believe I can be better.

No comments:
Post a Comment