The worry came when I got home—I was checking the Kitten
Calendar Twitter and reposting all the nice holiday shoutouts (superthanks,
pals!) and discovered that my brother’s new girlfriend had followed me. My
initial reaction was to feel flattered and relieved—there is a little strain to
having a secret identity, and the idea of being outed was a little
liberating—until I realized the full scope of what she’d be able to read. Then
I felt my safe little bubble of a blog close around me and felt trapped and
creepy. I became fully conscious of how this might all look to an outsider—just
the fact that I was age-play adjacent seemed like enough to get me kicked out
of the family. I felt so exposed that I was forced to sympathize with Fireguy’s
reaction all those months ago. (Says Sweetie: “Hope you didn’t sympathize for
too long…”)
(Really, the reason the Fireguy situation, especially the
jealous-partner aspect, freaked me out so much was that it seemed to confirm a
fear that I had about myself—that I was inherently harmful and could not get
what I wanted without destroying things.)
Anyway, after I found the follow, I called Sweetie at work
and just broke down at the idea of my family being able to read this. “I’m so
dirty!” I kept saying. I imagined having my nieces and nephews taken away,
never being able to hug the baby again. Because I’m an excellent
catastrophizer, I extrapolated out to losing potential students as well. If a
new family member could find me, then teacher friends could too, and everyone
would know. (I found out you can search using a phone number and some phones
even autosearch, but that’s an easy box to uncheck.)
Besides wife, family member, teacher, there’s another role
I’ve always worried about having: Ruiner. I grew up in an unhappy family that
somehow morphed into a happy one the year my niece was born and I met Sweetie.
(They both came into my life in 2001, not long after 9/11.) I’ve always
suspected that if I messed things up with Sweetie, then the whole happy-family
thing would come crumbling down. Though I’m theoretically out to the family
(via facebook and many non-Sweetie themed poems) about being bi and poly, I’ve
only talked directly to my parents about it, and only when I was sad. (“Aren’t
you just setting yourself up for heartbreak after heartbreak?” said mom, not
unkindly.)
For some reason, my brother is the one I’ve always worried
about telling, even though he’s an up-to-date reader of my poetry. I’ve always
been sure that if I mentioned it directly, he'd tell me what a terrible,
selfish jerk I am being to Sweetie and it would ruin whatever occasion it
happened to be. I’ve always known that if I didn’t work out between me and
Sweetie, I’d be the bad guy, and I’d have absolutely no one to turn to.
For all of the work I’ve done here, for all of the rooms and
waves I’ve walked into naked, all it took was an accidental misfollow to bring
me face to face with deep-seated shame, not just the suspicion but the
knowledge that deep down, I’m dirty and bad and have nothing but destruction to
offer.
These idyllic Christmases are wonderful and I wouldn’t want
to trade them, but I know that to keep them the same, I’ve suppressed an
important part of myself—the Christmas that I want someday, with a guy partner and his family and Sweetie would effectively end Christmas as we know it. When we
got in the car to come home Tuesday night, I was so desperate to talk to her,
to be our true selves, that we didn’t even put on the radio or podcast for two
hours, just talked and talked.
My brother’s girlfriend has been blocked, and it’s likely
that she didn’t see a thing. I’m glad that the whole thing opened my eyes to
the shame that I still have to work against. I’m 38, for crying out loud, and I
can’t keep worrying what my family will think, and I certainly can’t keep
half-hoping that I’ll be suddenly be not-bi and able to keep things the way
they are. As far as I’ve come, I still have to work hard to get myself to a place
of authenticity, of naked safety. Other writers have found ways to write
through (real or imagined) family suppression, so hopefully I can too.

No comments:
Post a Comment