Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Happy Time at the STI Screening, Who’d’ve Thought?




It occurs to me that because of Planned Parenthood’s low income plan thingie, my hoo-ha’s health is much more up-to-date than the other parts of me. Back in February, I had an incidence of HPV and today I went back for a routine screening and to make sure the HPV symptoms are still gone—hooray, they are! The doctor said that a healthy immune system could get rid of the virus, so I can go ahead and worry about it a little less.

I have a deep fear about being diseased because I went through a lot in that department when I was in high school. Everything was cured, but the experience was tied to a sexual assault and so there was a deep shame about being infected and treated.

Today my doctor, God bless her, said something that seems like it should be obvious but hit me right in the soul:

“It seems like your life is really different now than it was in 1992.”

Yes, and thank you, thank you, thank you. Even if my sex-positive life sometimes feels unmanageable, I am very, very happy and grateful for the way things are turning out to be in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment